Golden Guardians, an esports division of the Golden State Warriors, has made a significant shift in its focus. After three years in the Super Smash Bros. Melee scene, the organization has decided to concentrate resources on traditional sports, leading to a decline in its various esports divisions.
The End of an Era in Smash Melee
- Roster Shutdown: The organization has announced the immediate disbandment of its Smash Melee roster.
- Released Players: Prominent players like Kevin “PPMD” Nanney, Edgard “n0ne” L. Sheleby, Kris “Toph” Aldenderfer, Masaya “aMSa” Chikamoto, and Brandon “HomeMadeWaffles” Collier have been released.
- Staff Impacted: The move also affects the support staff behind the GG Melee social media.
We're bringing on one of Melee's most iconic and prolific voices. Please give a warm welcome to @toph_bbq!
GG Direct Live ▶ https://t.co/Ib6VSNaMB0 pic.twitter.com/LS7qdoMjmy
— Golden Guardians (@GoldenGuardians) April 2, 2021
Golden Guardians’ Legacy in FGC
- Historic Signing: The organization made history by signing Zain Nagami in February 2020, who achieved remarkable success including wins at prestigious tournaments.
- Roster Expansion: In April 2021, the roster expanded, bringing in more top players and commentators and launching the GG Melee YouTube channel for community engagement.
- Grassroot Fund: Golden Guardians notably contributed to the Melee community by enhancing tournament prize pools and organically growing the scene.
- Community Events: The organization was also involved in hosting community tournaments and engaging with local Melee scenes.
- LCS Exit: Prior to the Melee exit, Golden Guardians withdrew from the League of Legends scene for the 2024 LCS season.
- Smooth Communication: The Melee division received prior notice about the disbandment, ensuring a smoother transition for players and staff.
The Golden Guardians have had an incredible experience in the LCS over the last five years. However, given Riot Games decision to shift the LCS from a 10-team league to an 8-team league, we have made the difficult decision to exit League of Legends.
We are so grateful for the…
— Golden Guardians (@GoldenGuardians) November 20, 2023
Is the Organization at Risk?
Golden Guardians’ decision marks the end of a significant chapter in their esports journey. While the organization refocuses on traditional sports, the impact of their involvement in the Super Smash Bros. Melee scene will be remembered by the community.