GameSquare Launches FaZe Media with $11M Investment

GameSquare Launches FaZe Media with $11M Investment

20. May 2024 by Valentin Pasetti

GameSquare, the prominent esports holding company, has announced the launch of FaZe Media, a new media venture focused on FaZe Clan’s intellectual property and brand.

With an $11M investment from Matt Kalish, co-founder and president of fantasy sports platform DraftKings, FaZe Media is set to expand its brand value, licensing opportunities, sponsorships, online events, and product launches.

Key Details of the Investment

The $11M investment from Kalish, who will join the FaZe Media board, underscores the significant potential seen in this new venture. FaZe Media will operate as a subsidiary of GameSquare, with the holding company retaining 51% ownership and Kalish holding the remaining 49%.

Richard “FaZe Banks” Bengston, one of the founders of FaZe Clan, will serve as the CEO of FaZe Media, driving the new company’s strategic direction.

gamesquare faze media launch

Strategic Goals and Vision

FaZe Media aims to build on the “brand value of FaZe,” originally launched by Bengston in April 2004. The company plans to leverage its strong brand identity to create new licensing and sponsorship opportunities, organize online events, and introduce new products.

This initiative follows a period of restructuring for FaZe Clan, which included significant staff changes and the onboarding of a fresh group of content creators after GameSquare’s acquisition of FaZe Clan in March 2024.

Statements from Key Executives

Since completing the acquisition of FaZe Clan, we have focused on returning the brand’s control to its founders and reestablishing its authenticity,” said Justin Kenna, CEO of GameSquare. This renewed focus on authenticity and brand integrity is expected to resonate well with FaZe Clan’s large and dedicated fanbase.

GameSquare lanza FaZe Media

Recent Developments and Partnerships

Throughout the acquisition process, which began in October 2023, FaZe Clan continued to attract new partners and launch various activations.

In January 2024, the organization partnered with the crypto casino Rollbit, and in February, it expanded its FaZe Fridays series, offering competitors $1M in cash prizes. These initiatives are part of a broader strategy to maintain FaZe Clan’s relevance and engagement in the rapidly evolving esports landscape.

GameSquare’s Broader Strategy

In recent years, GameSquare has emerged as a significant player in the esports and gaming industries. In May 2024, it partnered with Dairy MAX to launch a campaign in Fortnite, and earlier this year, the company introduced Moonlight Studios, focusing on creating immersive experiences through the metaverse.

These ventures highlight GameSquare’s commitment to innovation and growth in digital entertainment.

FaZe Clan’s Restructuring: Layoffs, Roster Changes, and Esports Updates


The launch of FaZe Media, bolstered by a substantial investment from Matt Kalish, marks a pivotal moment for both FaZe Clan and GameSquare. With a focus on enhancing brand value and expanding into new areas, FaZe Media is poised to make a significant impact in the esports and entertainment industries.